Whether you are thinking of selling this Spring or simply want to refresh your space, these tips will help to increase the value of your home.
Refresh with paint
A fresh lick of paint is proven to have the most effect on your home. Given most people repaint every five years it’s worth calling in the experts for a professional job that will last.
Woodwork and ceilings are trickier to get perfect and if you’re preparing for sale potential buyers will notice those unsightly runs and patches.
Poor preparation is false economy and if not done properly the paint will not stick, last or look as good. That said, if you are on a budget you can save a little on your painting budget by washing the areas down thoroughly yourself then getting the rest done professionally.
Fix up the kitchen
- For a quick update paint the cupboard doors
- An easy fix is to replace the cupboard doors and handles
- Replace your bench-top to change the look of the kitchen.
- Check out eBay for bargains
- If using stone, ask around for quotations as pricing can vary
Give the entrance a facelift
- First impressions matter so make sure the entrance to your home has the WOW factor.
- Paint the front door in a strong colour to give it extra bling
- Update your entrance hall furniture including the doormat
- Clean the area around the entrance hall
- Remove cobwebs from the eaves
- Tidy up plants and clean the path
- Ensure everything is in good working order including toilets, taps and extractor fans
- Change your tapware for an instant update
- Paint your tiles, an effective yet economical option.
- Use high gloss paint and a grout pen which paints over discoloured grout
Make your windows sparkle
- Clean the windows until sparkling
- Check latches are working
- Call a glazier to replace damaged window panes
- Change your curtains or blinds – keep it neutral if selling
- Ensure window frames are clean and in top condition, a fresh coat of paint works wonders
Spruce up the garden
- Have a good clear up, sweep pathways, remove debris and think about styling
- Group your pots together and give plants a good haircut, removing dead leave
- Deep clean paintwork and paths with a high pressure cleaner
- Scrub the barbecue and buy a new cover
- Clean and oil outdoor furniture